Thursday, April 25, 2013

Bring Your Child to Work Day

I really can't believe this is an actual "day." I mean, I'm not complaining seeing as how I was down 9 kids all day.  What a difference 9 makes, it's a third of my class!  Needless to say we didn't get too much done because I'd just have to reteach it all again tomorrow. So you might be wondering what we did do?


Well, we spent the morning drafting and creating acrostic poems to add to our "Book of Poetry."  Each student used their first name to write an acrostic about themselves.  Then they did a watercolor self portrait.

To celebrate April is Poetry Month we are dedicating all of our writing lessons to poetry.  To celebrate our classrooms will be hosting, "An Afternoon of Poetry" next week. We are inviting the parents in to enjoy all of the hard work we've been doing.  We'll blog more about this later. ;)

Then we moved on to science, we decorated a face on a small cup and planted grass seed inside.  This way when it starts growing they can cut the "hair."  After they had them planted I found some of them holding their cup up to a lamp [because plants need (sun)light to grow] hoping to see a sprout. They are too cute!


  
During math we played Making Cents, a SmartBoard game, that I found at Lakeshore Learning.  It was a great review!  I love hearing the "Cha-Ching."


Speaking of money! We've been working hard to get a good handle on this skill.  I don't know about all of you but counting money is always a struggle!  We pulled out all the stops... worksheets, games, activities, journaling, practice, scavenger hunts.  I even established a classroom bank, they could earn money for various reasons.  They money they earn will be used at our classroom garage sale tomorrow. Check back for details on how I run that, this weekend. I think they are finally ready for the unit test tomorrow!  



No comments:

Post a Comment